10 Holiday Big Give Ideas
So in one of my recent posts, I wrote about one of my big gives this season was donating 10 inches of my hair to Locks of Love. As you might not have 10 inches of your hair to donate, so here is a list of 10 other ways you can make a difference to someone you might never meet:
- It’s great that people are donating to toy drives, but with Hanukkah and Christmas right around the corner, someone has to wrap those presents! Volunteer one or two hours to an organization and get wrapping!
- Buy a box of wrapped candy canes and pass them out to people on your bus, people you pass on your street or those sleeping on the street. This won’t cure world hunger, but will certainly brighten someone’s day.
- Collect your coats and sweaters you don’t wear and donate them to a local shelter. Your coat could save someone’s life during these cold nights and let’s be honest, you’re not going to wear it any more.
- The world would be such a better place if we took all of the money we spent on gifts and donated it. I am HUGELY at fault for this as I love buying presents for other people. I know, sue me. But what if there were those last few presents you were going to buy, things they don’t need, and instead you found a good local charity and gave them the $20? Then you could give a card to the person the present was intended for and let them know you have donated that amount in their honour. Even return one give and donate that money. Your $10 or $20 may not seem like a lot, but every penny counts.
- Buying new sheets or towels for yourself this winter? Donate your old ones to a local animal shelter. They are always in need of these supplies!
- Speaking of animals. The holidays are a big time to bring in a new family member. So, if you have thought long and hard about your decision (puppies are cute, but a LOT of work), rescue a shelter puppy, kitten, dog, cat or what every animal it is you’re looking for. They are so many in need of loving homes and are just as good, if not better, than pets purchased from a pet store. SO much cheaper, too. Find your forever friend at PetFinder.com!
- Snow shovel your neighbours driveway. You might as well if you’re already out there doing yours and you’ll give them a great start to their day!
- On one of your holiday family celebrations, think about spending an hour together serving food at a local soup kitchen. Share your family and holiday with others.
- Write your co-workers a card or a little note to wish them well. We often underestimate the power of an honest compliment.
- If you’re going to go out and buy presents, shop locally and support your local communities. They won’t be able to sustain this economy without your help!
Let me know if you have any other big give ideas the holiday! I’d love to hear how you are making a difference.
Love and peace.